Hey friends, welcome to another home decor post! As we are all stuck in our houses during quarantine, I thought i would share a fun and inexpensive home renovation. When we redid our kitchen, I had them put in a cabinet in the corner with room for a wine fridge, knowing that I wanted to do some open shelving above. Let’s go over everything we did and used to create this little beverage/coffee bar.
I had looked at stained shelves on Etsy and whatnot but they were always close to $100 a shelf. I did not want to pay that so I decided to make them myself.
I bought the pipe brakes off of amazon for less than $40 (linked below) and they came with almost everything we needed to hang them. Our walls are drywall so I grabbed some heavier duty anchors at Home Depot just to be safe.
I picked out two 12 inch by 1 inch by 8 feet plain yellow pine boards which they were kind enough to cut down for me to the size I needed. I picked up some 120 grit sand paper, some pre-stain wood conditioner, and a can of American Walnut stain.
We sanded and stained them according to the instructions on the can. I believe it took two coats of stain. I didn’t put any kind of polyurethane on them or anything like that. I just left them the way they were.
Next, after the shelves were hung, it was time to decorate them! This is always my favorite part. The hubbs is the coffee drinker in the family so I knew he needed a little coffee setup. Instead of having all of his coffee supplies on the counter just sitting there, I put them on a cute wood tray with two of our favorite mugs.
Right above that, I added a faux plant and a cute coffee sign. I got the sign at Hobby Lobby but I couldn’t find it online for you all unfortunately. I put our most used wine glasses in the middle of the shelf and our tea and coffee canisters at the other end above my tea maker.
I am obsesses with these stackable mugs too. They were only $12 and they look so clean and put together alongside my iced tea maker.
I threw some cookbooks and a candle on the top shelf next to an antique tea pot and a food scale. Here is a link to the exact teapot if you are interested in that.
I found that have a variety of heights and textures on the shelves really made them feel balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
Total time spent = 4 hours
Total money spent (on shelves not decor) = $85
Level of easiness to make = 3 out of 10
I really like how they turned out and am very happy with how they make my kitchen look. If you try making them yourself, please be sure to tag me wherever you post a pic of them.
As always, thanks for reading. I hope you are all staying happy and healthy!